Anyone buy trade stocks?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Garthilk, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Gaunsaku Chill Dude

Spanish stocks? Have you not looked at world news at all in, oh, the last 2 years? :D

2. Garthilk General Badass

Well SAN is a Spanish bank. It has multiple subsidiaries including here in the US. It gets more than half it's revenue from outside the country. Though when you look at it, people would think it's a local Spanish bank. Has lost 50% of it's value since last year. Pays a small 20 cent dividend subject to Spanish tax witholding. This is a long gamble on my part. Europe isn't going to stop using banks, especially ones as big as San.

TEF is a telephone company like FTE it's Frech counterpart. I bought both. But are beaten down fairly badly, but with the way the telecommunications trend is going, no one is going to put down their cell phones anytime soon. Both companies get a small percentage of their revenues outside of Europe and FTE pays a small dividend.

I'd say about 90% of my portfolio is contrarian investing, aka gambling. But the total portfolio is about 14k of gambling money.

I'm going to buy more MCD and start a position in KO this week.

3. Anwedie Lord

Financial institutions got killed by Dodd Frank. They are actually limited in the amount of money they can lend out(one of their main sources of income). They've been struggling for about 5 years now(I own C but bought it at 2ish after the crash). The other problem coming next year is massive food inflation. The droughts killed the corn and beef and both are going to rise a lot next year. This is going to directly impact MCD's profit margins(if it hasn't already since they dropped from 100 to 85ish). For this reason alone I've been wary to increase my position in it because while they pay a good dividend the principal is going to go down even more I think.

The other looming problem is Obama's tax hike he wants to do on dividends and capitol gains. Of course it's for people with $250k or over(great conversational line), but who the hell do you think owns millions of shares of stock. If they pull their money out of dividend stocks to invest in low or mid growth stocks it will plummet every single dividend stock at least 10%, if not more. That could be a real stock market crash as people scramble to reinvest, but we'll see.

For dividends I've been sitting in NLY(real estate), FTR(broadband/telephone), PPL(electric power) for years. If you buy in low, these stocks often do not move lower, but do move higher slightly y/y.

4. Gaunsaku Chill Dude

Buy AAPL before the iphone 5 release. If you listened to me last August, you'd be up almost 70% on your investment :D

5. Garthilk General Badass

I know, I know. I just can't bring myself to do it for some reason. The stock price scares me. I can only afford like 1 or 2 shares at a time. For some stupid reason I can't do it.

6. Garthilk General Badass

I hope it crashes, that would be fantastic. It would allow me to enter great dividend yielders are much better entry points.

7. Gaunsaku Chill Dude

Apple has a dividend now :D

8. thorizdin Administrator

AAPL is a timebomb, I can't tell you exactly when it will go off only that it will. It could be this year, next year, but its unlikely to last as it is for more than 3 years.

9. Gaunsaku Chill Dude

About 1 year ago you said that, Thor. 75% raise in value later, I think we still got awhile. 1000 is my new target :D

10. Valor Buffalo Rancher

Let me know when AAPL crashes, I want to wait about 8 hours then buy the shit out of it.

11. Gaunsaku Chill Dude

It hit 675 and then profit taking happened. Still at 650 though. Rumors of a stock split in the future. Who knows.

12. Valor Buffalo Rancher

Been considering investing a small amount (around the 5k mark). Doubt Apple is going to see any massive downturns in the next year. They've already had their Jesus die and they kept right on going.

13. Baidis Member

I am in college and have no money back a month or to ago I invested in fake stock in Cisco. I have made about 15% in the last month.

14. Gaunsaku Chill Dude

The overall market has improved of the last bit. Hit a low of 12k in May and is now up to 13.3k.

And who says Obama's policies suck? :D

15. Anwedie Lord

Lol the only reason the market is up is brokers have a negative outlook on the economy. Everyone is EXPECTING more stimulus(read as easy money) because the GDP will be 1.2% for the year at the rate things are going. So the market is inflated about 5-15% right now.

When stocks like MAN(manpower group) start going up it's because hiring is picking up. Until then it's a steady slog sideways :p

16. thorizdin Administrator

I did the same thing about AOL (predicted its end a couple of years early), I tend to under estimate the effect of strong marketing but really that's all Apple has going for them. Demographics are bad (hint, teens & college age kids think Android devices are better), price pressure is increasing (legal fights don't have a lot of chance of changing this), Jobs is gone along with a lot of the brand's standing, and in the end marketing only gets you so far.

17. Garthilk General Badass

Yeah sometimes you miss a boat and it's best not reflecting on it. Apple is a missed boat.

Regarding the economy, I think Bernanke is going to pass at the September meeting. Least I hope he does, no more stimulis until the goverment figures out what it's going to do with taxes, dividend taxation, employment. At this point Bernanke has been doing all the work with the economy. He's made a few statements indicating that goverment needs to do it's share of the work. I'm sure he's going to QE4 it up, but I hope he puts it off till after the budget, debt ceiling, taxes standoff.

18. Marble Lord

19. Garthilk General Badass

Yeah I read through two of their articles and they pretty much say the same thing. Uncle Ben won't pull out QE3 in Sept and his speech Aug 31 will reflect it. Market is up, stocks are up still all because of QE2 and the hopes of QE3, meanwhile govement, is trying to push off handling the debt problem, taxes, etc, till next year. When in reality, that uncertainity is holding back businesses from investing.

I think we're due for a pullback. I hope to stay on the sidelines, let my stocks ride back to zero and pile on more money in some stocks I've been holding off on and or average down on the ones I've got.

20. Palebrew Inactive Elder

Isn't there something (bonds, CD's) I should buy now while the interest rate stays so low that could make me a shitload of cash when the rate rises? Also is the market another bubble waiting to pop?