Got a new TV, now I need to upgrade sound

Discussion in 'LotD Merchandise/Hot Deals/Sweet Gear' started by Piikaa, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Piikaa Warlord

Bought a 65" Samsung 8550 4KHD this week and the sound is pretty weak. I have it in a 675sqft room so it needs a new sound system. Any suggestions on what's good right now?

2. Sanjo Mr. No Fucks Given

We were at the store today and I was mesmerized by the 4k TV they had.

I'm very interested to hear how you like it - and how it does with 1080p action movies, as well as any 4k movies you can find.

As for home audio - I have nothing but good things to say about all my Polk speakers.

Center speaker: http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Ce...&sr=1-11&keywords=polk+center+channel+speaker
    2 front speakers: http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-TS...64&sr=1-8&keywords=polk+floor+channel+speaker (you can save and get the 300 or 400 series if you're not looking to break the bank)
    satellite speakers: http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-RM...68291&sr=1-3&keywords=polk+satellite+speakers (there's a ton of options for satellites)
    Subwoofer: http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-12...UTF8&qid=1418168388&sr=1-1&keywords=polk+ps12 (shay got me this a few years ago for Xmas - shakes the whole house.... and probably the cars in the garage, playhouse in the backyard and kills any birds that fly into the subfield.)

Recievers are o'plenty. I have: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BLGUKDE...9742&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_i=onkyo&qid=1418168486 (it's the older model, but this is the new version)

Harmony ONE Remote to turn everything on and use the shit, lol.

I've been looking for a new TV for a few years. Almost jumped in a year ago on black friday - but then I started reading more about the 4k TV's. I think I'm just gonna hold off till there's more feedback on the new tech. I can say without a doubt that the 4k TV's I've seen so far - a like looking out a window. It's unlike anything I've ever seen from a TV - I am still in shock at how awesome that screen looks.

Can't go wrong with Polk. Denon is good but over priced like any other BIG name (sony is the worst price point)

3. Piikaa Warlord

I have a Bose system that I can cannibalize for the speakers for a new receiver. The 4k is awesome sauce.

4. El Topo Lord

That is a really good TV, and I was surprised these were very heavily discounted this year as they only just came out. 4k TVs are fine for movies, but not the best for gaming. There is already 5k TVs being built, and its suggested that 8k is around the corner. Its a tech in its evolution phase. There is simply not enough 4k content out there.

4k monitors are a super waste of money, as your setup needs to be beast to take advantage of the high res. Even if u did have a beast setup the support isn't there currently. U are better off spending your money on the new 34in 3440 x 1440 monitors that are the best alternative to surround gaming.

My only sound recommendation is doing your research, or trust someone that has done their research. I can tell u a lot about headphones, but not about speakers unfortunately. Good luck with your search.

5. Only decent speaker deal that I've come across in the last week:

Acoustic Sound Design has Klipsch RB-51 II 5.1 Home Theater System w/ 900W Subwoofer for $2346 - $1437 off w/ code 900WATT = $999. Shipping is free.

Includes
    • 2x RB-51 II Bookshelf Speakers
    • 1x RC-52 II Center Speaker
    • 2x RS-41 II Bookshelf Speakers
    • 1x SW-310 900W Subwoofer
    • 1x KMC 1 Portable Speaker
    [​IMG]

Dochan, Piikaa and Valor like this.
  6. Gaunsaku Chill Dude

Double plus recommendation for Klipsch. I won't have my audio any other way :)

7. Sanjo Mr. No Fucks Given

Newegg.com has Yamaha RX-V677 7.2-Channel WiFi Network A/V Receiver + Klipsch Quintet 5.0 Speaker System (automatically added to cart) on Sale for $549.95. Shipping is Free. Thanks bighamsterneck

Deal Editor's Note: Great savings when you buy this combo as opposed to purchasing separately. -Corwin

Price Comparison: Our research indicates that this combo of Yamaha RX-V677 7.2-Channel WiFi Network A/V Receiver + Klipsch Quintet 5.0 Speaker System is $450 less (45% savings) than the next best available price from a reputable merchant with prices starting at $550 for the Receiver and $450 for the Klipsch Speaker System = $1000 if you were to purchase separately.

Piikaa likes this.
  8. TheDudeAbides New Member

The voice control I have with my xbox one totally negated my need for my harmony remote. I'm a little sad that it became obsolete, but I haven't used it in almost a year now.

9. Ozzone Lord

10. Sanjo Mr. No Fucks Given

11. Sanjo Mr. No Fucks Given

12. Piikaa Warlord

I've got a Bose system so I think I'll be good on Bass for a while now... That's a great sub, by the way and I'd take you up in a heartbeat if I hadn't already taken care of it.

13. Michael S New Member

I have some very high end audio from Martin logan so let me chime in for you.
    First a budget..

Second focus your money on your front 3 speakers and the subwoofer.

If you can't pump out 800 for a subwoofer alone get one from parts express a nice 15 inch Dayton is like 179. And maybe buy 2 then .

But trust me your sound will come 85% from your front 3 speakers .

Any questions just ask

14. Michael S New Member

Oh ya and don't be afraid to buy as you go because once you have a nice setup you will have it for a while