LAN Network Permission help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cedwyn, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Cedwyn Banned

Hey guys,

Hopefully one of the zillion network admins we have here can help me out :)

I have a 3 computer network: 'server' running win7 x64, 'pc1' running win7 x64 and 'pc2' running winxp x32 sp3. On the server is a bunch of programs I want to use/share with pc1/2 (executed on the server). I have the shares setup with permissions for each user to read/write/execute and the programs open up when ran from one of the PCs, but when a program attempts to modify a file, I get an 'access denied / error 5' on PC1 only (win7) and PC2 (winxp) works fine.

The permissions for each PC are exactly the same. PC1/2 are setup as close as possible to mirror each other (security policies, user accounts on server, etc.).

If I remote into the server from PC1 and run the program from within remote desktop, the programs run fine. I even setup a remote app to be run from PC1 and this 'works' but it is really slow.

One of the programs run uses an mssql database which might be part of the problem (it is configured to allow access from remote connections).

So... any ideas on what may be the cause, and/or possible solutions for why a program works on winxp<->win7 but not on win7<->win7?

2. Koribundar Inactive Chapter Member

From pc1, if you do a \\servername from the run prompt, are you able to see the shares? You have to authenticate against it at least once, (put in the server username and password, and make sure you check the "remember" box).

3. Cedwyn Banned

Hey Kor, thanks for the response - I found out the issue but never removed this thread. The stupid POS was trying to access a folder on the LOCAL (?!?!) system that didn't exist and the exception handler didn't know what to do, so it threw the 'access denied' message. So I created a replicated folder/file structure from the server to the local system and the error went away.