Need Help:

Discussion in 'LotD Merchandise/Hot Deals/Sweet Gear' started by Valor, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Valor Buffalo Rancher

2. Evoex Maple Syrup & Dudes

3. Leshil Warlord

Any of the mobos these days worth their weight, will have built in network cards. Some even have wireless now.

4. Ren Elder

That mobo is now out of stock?

I just got this vid card from newegg. It has really good reviews, and is a great value for performance. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500270

The sucker is small, quiet, and uses half the power (hence less heat and less fan noise) than my last video card.

If you are rolling in cash, get 2 and SLI.

5. Valor Buffalo Rancher

I think I got this now.

Thanks all!

6. rambro Member

Going to build a new pc in August..

Anyone mess with the new haswell chips yet?

Was thinking about watercooling as well never done it before.

7. Ren Elder

I just undid my watercooling. I found it to be a lot of work/maintenance but not really necessary. And when you go to upgrade/replace a burnt out vid card, you will regret having to buy a new cooling block.

8. rambro Member

Ok that makes it pretty easy to decide no watercooling lol.

Now should I need to decide I7 haswell or i5 ivey..

Think im going with a gtx 760 for graph card

9. Evoex Maple Syrup & Dudes

almost no game in existence uses hyper threading, so if it's just for gaming i7 is a waste of money.

10. Leshil Warlord

The cache is important when it comes to gaming, however. I'm on the road, but it was on an Anandtech article. 12mb on the $1k I7 at the time outperformed my 2600k 8mb cache. Not by a ton mind you, but it does help.

11. Evoex Maple Syrup & Dudes

We're talking about a few frames at best, hardly worth the extra cost.

We could also argue that i5 runes cooler then i7, so overall system temp for the overclocks out there might be an item to note but really like the fps it's negligible.

12. rambro Member

Basically the new haswell chip at my local microcenter is 279 for the i7 and 199 for the i5. So a 80 dollar difference.. Yet it is 80 bucks I think I still will get the I7.. Looking at cases tonight

13. Leshil Warlord

Here's the thing, when you're an enthusiast like myself, we like to min/max our computers as well. :)

Nothing compares in Intel iterations to the 2600k price/performance/value imo. Cools nicely, OC was great and three years after launch it still runs anything out there at max. My 2600k has been under water for almost three years at 15-20c

My sons 2500k, which is I think considered an i5 is also amazing, but I could never squeeze the clocks out of it like the i7. It also didn't mesh with the high speed OC ram as well. Both are the best bang for your buck CPU I've ever personally built.

Here's a great site btw: www.xtremesystems.org

Yes, 1 fps matters to us junkies!

These guys ripoff the cpu lids...lol

14. Leshil Warlord

I just can't change out my 2600k for Haswell based on all the reviews. If your upgrading your cpu from an older than Ivy or Sandy Bridge iteration, then yea it's worth it.

15. Evoex Maple Syrup & Dudes

From the brief notes that i've read on haswell it doesn't seem to overclock as well as ivy bridge. Just fyi.

16. Evoex Maple Syrup & Dudes

Sure I can understand that, but common sense must prevail at times. If we're talking $50-100+ for 3-5fps, then no just no. There's better areas to drop that kind of dough, imo.

Also we have to really take experience with personal clocks with a grain of salt as every cpu is different and even if you had two 2600k's there's zero guarantee you would get the same clock out of them.

Case in point; i've owned 3 i7 920 D0 stepping cpu's. Based on everything I read I should be able to get 4.0ghz+ on air. With the exact same components (case, mobo, ram, psu, cooler) I only ever got one of them there.

That being said, can L3 cache can make a difference, yeah it's possible but certainly not guaranteed.

17. rambro Member

Well I am running a Q6600 so a upgrade will be huge.. Usually I build systems every few years.. This one just lasted me a while and cant go any longer.

So its the Same price for a Ivy I7 as a Haswell at my store. So my guess would be just go with the haswell. I would hate to buy old technology even though it might overclock better.

Thinking of picking up a NZXT case. I really wanted to try watercooling atleast on the cpu but if its a pain in the ass I aint doing it

18. Evoex Maple Syrup & Dudes

It's your dough :)

19. rambro Member

True... Lol well birthday is coming up so some of it other people dough hahah

20. Valor Buffalo Rancher