New PC Build tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bushido, May 10, 2017.

1. Bushido Inactive Chapter Member

AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor
    MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard
    G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Sandisk - SSD PLUS 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    EVGA - 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
    Corsair - Air Series AF140 Red 66.4 CFM 140mm Fan x2

I have 2x 980ti from my old rig so that covers the graphics cards.

Gib me some feedback on this rig as I'm not the best with hardware

Edit: Primary OS is going to be Ubuntu

2. Piikaa Warlord

Not sure what's good these days, but I'm glad to see you building a new rig!

3. Kiwiness FFXIV Chapter

Personally I would ditch the seagate HDD for the fact that ive had so many of them fail over the years. May go with a WD Black or something else

4. Georgetta Gear Level 9000

I was die hard AMD fan... well... for a long, long time. With my last PC, I switched to Intel. It has been a HUGE difference. The extra cost is worth it, IMO.

You may also want to take a look into a 800W to 1000W power supply, with your graphics card setup.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

5. Philoctetes Crowfall Leadership

Although the benchmarks are fine for Ryzen it still suffers from first gen AMD problems. Namely driver compatibility.

Since this is a linux build I assume you are putting those 8 cores to use via development of some kind. If not those extra cores won't really improve your gaming capabilities.

It's an odd time to buy right now. Intel is due to release their new gen stuff shortly and I imagine they will be forced to lower prices or offer a much better product due to the price of those Ryzens. I personally wouldn't buy something right now unless my current rig exploded on the spot and I needed something immediately.

Bushido likes this.
  6. Bushido Inactive Chapter Member

I don't buy just because it's intel or amd. I've used both and usually prefer intel, however for the cost these ryzen chips seem to be worth it.

Ah didn't think of that thanks.

Hmm didn't know that they were releasing a new gen chip I may put this off and look at what they have. Any ideas on when they are due to release?

I'll take a look at that thanks. And on
    "Namely driver compatibility."
    Linux build so this will happen with either chip set.

Main thing is that my rig is nearly a decade old. So its aboot time to upgrade. I'll look to see what intel has on the horizen if only to push the current gen chips down in price unless its a godsend upgrade.

Thanks for the help guys

7. Philoctetes Crowfall Leadership

So it appears as though Intels Canon Lake processors will show up later this year. This would be their 10nm chip which basically breaks out of the 10-15% upgrade cycle they are in now.

I mean if you need one just buy it. But if you intend to be at the top of your game for a few years now is a bad-ish time to jump in.

8. Dozel Member

I am at the bad time. My 1156 socket motherboard just went..

If I can even find one? I don't know what parts I can salvage minus my SSD?

If I do buy new is it hard to build a computer if I get parts myself? I like Windows 7 but don't want win10. Maybe Ubuntu? Is it able to play most games and programs?

Newegg still the best online shop site?

9. Philoctetes Crowfall Leadership

@Dozel Windows 10 is perfectly fine, I'm really curious why you think otherwise. All of the system reporting stuff can be turned off during the install process and it has some pretty nifty improvements.

SSD is likely the only salvageable part. If you were happy with your build the cheapest option would be to replace the motherboard but you may have trouble finding older boards.

Use pcpartpicker.com to price compare. I wouldn't say one retailer is better than another these days, all depends on sales.

10. Dozel Member

Awesome thank you!

11. Georgetta Gear Level 9000

With the way PC and motherboards are now a days, its super easy to build them yourself :) Just make sure to keep the instructions handy and you should be just fine. If hypothetically you run into any problems, 9 times out of 10, something is just not plugged in the right spot or its a setting in the BIOS. :)

12. Dozel Member

Hmm I am thinking maybe I should do what I wanted.

I really wanted to build a system in a corsair 380T mini itx tower...

I see it's space is limited. What parts are best for fitting into This?

And if I get the parts would most computer stores be able to build this for me?

13. Dozel Member

Ah nevermind. Hard to find that case. Would have been amazing only one I can find is like 350 on ebay. Way over my price range now