New to or coming back to Smite? Things you should know!

Discussion in 'Smite' started by Calebreth, Sep 25, 2015.

1. It seems there has been a lot more interest in Smite lately. As there should be, it is a great game and its actually fun to play solo or with friends.

So much has changed since this game was released and I think it is all for the better. For those of you who have played in the past and enjoy other MOBAS I would highly suggest coming back to check it out. Some of you may think you have been burned by it in the past for many reasons but the balance right now is great!

Zappman (ADC/Hunter for team eGr) has been quoted saying - "I think smite is more balanced than its ever been. You can see this by just how diversified picks are. Almost every god is viable. A lot of people like to bandwagon on particular strategies rather than figuring out how to beat certain comps."

What is Smite?

SMITE is the online battleground of the gods. Players choose from a diverse cast of deities and use their unique powers to triumph over the opposition in 5v5 team matches. SMITE is a new take on the MOBA genre; rather than observing from above the action, the game’s third person perspective puts players into the thick of combat. Instead of clicking the mouse to move, players use the familiar WASD keys to move and fight their way through SMITE’s dynamic battlegrounds.

Key Features
    Be a God
    Cut through your enemies, encase them in ice, or drown them in a vortex of souls. Assume direct control of your godlike avatar and experience the MOBA genre up close with the game camera directly behind your character.

Choose from a long list of well-known and more obscure gods, each with their own history, special abilities and unique play style.

Tactical Gameplay
    Master and use your godlike abilities to fulfill key roles such as damage dealer, tanking, crowd control, and support. Explore the map and defeat NPC enemies for increased gold and buffs that help both you and your allies. Then deny your opponents victory with perfectly-timed stuns and calculated ambushes.

Mythical Setting
    Two teams of 5 players fight to slay the opposition’s Minotaur on an inferno-themed battlefield. But first they must contend with three flaming Phoenixes plus Cyclops NPC camps and the legendary Fire Giant in the jungle.

Power Up
    Within a single match, your god levels from 1 to 20, causing your abilities to gain strength. You can purchase in-game items and consumables to benefit your god and complement your personal play style – whether it’s buffing your Magical power, Physical power, Defense or Utility capabilities.

Calculated Strikes
    Every attack in SMITE is a skill shot that you control. Ranged attacks are carefully aimed, melee attacks properly positioned, and Area of Effect damage must be ground-targeted. Predict your enemies’ movements and hit your mark for maximum effect in fast-paced combat.

Free-to-Play
    Everything affecting gameplay in SMITE can be earned simply by playing the game. Players have access to an initial set of playable gods for free, while additional gods are unlocked through gameplay time or more quickly through micro-transactions. Cosmetic skins can be purchased for further customization.

Multiple Ways to Play
    Check out our Game Modes page for details on SMITE's multiple game-modes and maps.

2. Looking to jump into the game?

There are some things you should know before you hop into game. Please don't just go download Smite if you have never played before. Use the referral link provided here to help a brother out in getting some in game achievements.

Referral Link HERE!!! <===== Use this to download the game

Once you download the game from ^ That link I would suggest going to Youtube to watch some videos on the different game modes and the Tutorials. I'll link those down below. Keep in mind these videos are just for beginners as they are fairly old and from when the game released. But they are still very informative enough to show you what to do in the game.

Tutorials

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017

3. Game Modes

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015

4. More Tutorials

Tons of Videos on different gods, what their abilities do and how to play with them and against them can be found here. ====> Oh Damn thats a lot of Gods

Aesthetics

This game has become a beautiful work of art and has some of the best default skins in any MOBA style game. Most of the other games you would need to pay for skins like the standard ones that are given to you. But if you do get into it and have the cash flow these skins are amazing! ===> Check out these babies!

Voice Coms

You will need to download Curse Voice. It actually integrates with Smite, by playing with Curse Voice you will get in game items such as:
    200 free Gems
    Curse Apollo
    Curse Ward Skin
    Curse Player Icon aka Avatar

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  5. IGN Master List

Can be found here ====> Master List of players to add to your friends list
    If you do want to be added to the list just post in that thread and I will add you to that list.

Where to go to find builds
    There have been many places to get builds since the launch of Smite but there currently is only one real place to continue to get them.

Smite.Guru
    Smite.Guru is the one and only place for all things Smite right now. You can find proper builds for all the game modes. You will also use this site to look up yours and other players ranks, ELO's, Skill Level, god games, most played roles, last but not least overall player ability. Once you start playing ranked games this will be a permanent stay on your other screen. You will constantly be looking up other peoples ranks and elo's.

You might find some old information on Tiermonster.com
    The guides on Tiermonster have not been updated recently because no one really uses this site for anything guide wise since Guru was released. Tiermonster is really just a place to go for information on the Challenger scene. To be honest you really wont have to use this site till you get serious about Smite.

When is it ok to play Conquest

Alot of people ask when is it ok for me to hop into a game of Conquest. The real answer is another question. "Do you have an understanding of what most of the other gods do and what they are capable of?" You can answer that question with a yes or no. If you have spent enough time in the Arena finding out what gods you enjoy playing and which ones you are good at, then you might be ready to hop into an actual conquest game.

When first starting out in the game I would suggest exclusively doing arena games over and over till you master at least 10 gods and have played the majority of the gods in the game. "But there are 69 gods in the game, that would take forever to play or try all of them." Yes it will take a long time to try out the gods and figure out what ones are a good fit for you but even Hi-Res themselves say that Conquest is for the more advanced player. You really don't want to be that BM guy on your team who has no clue what they are doing in their role in the game. I have had people call left or right lane when getting into a Conquest match. It is then that you will understand what I am talking about. I have lost almost every game that someone has done that because they don't understand the game mode nor do they understand what gods fill what roles. That brings me to my next topic.

What type of Gods fill what roles?
    Let's start with the Roles/Lanes in general. There are 5 roles that you can fill during a Conquest game.

Solo Lane - Solo Lane is a farming lane, you will go 1v1 against an opponent and your goal is to try to get to lvl 20 the fastest. Push your lane to tower and get the opposing teams T1 tower before they get your tower down. The faster you can get their tower the faster you can join your team in rotations and team fights. Solo lane has been dominated by Warriors for a long time but just recently there has been a resurgence of mages coming to the Solo lane. Sun Wukong, Bellona, Osiris, Hercules, and Guan Yu are good warriors to start off with. Hades, Isis, Aphrodite, Chronos, and Hel are Mages who can sustain in the Solo lane currently. If you like farming, are a patient type of person and are disciplined enough to tough it out and get your objectives then Solo lane might be for you.

Middle Lane - Middle Lane can fill two types of roles depending on your team comp. Mid is almost always filled by a Mage. You can play a support mage or a carry mage. Some gods can be built both ways. (IE: Janus, Aphrodite, Ra, ect...) Most Mid laners need to fill that carry role because the mid laner will do a lot of rotating to fights trying to get the advantage on the opposing teams other lanes. The best Mages to start off learning in the lane would be Poseidon, Janus, Nu Wa, Anubis, and Ra. If you are a carry type of player and you enjoy playing casters the Middle lane might be the right lane for you.

Jungler - Jungler can be filled by almost all the different types of Gods. The role is Dominated by Assassins though. The best junglers are those who can complete their jungle clear and assist the lanes in getting kills or getting an advantage. This is one of the most important roles in the game because if you have a good jungler then you have a big advantage over the opposing team. The jungle is responsible for ganking unsuspecting lanes to help that lane get an advantage over the other team. The jungle can Carry or support, it will really depend on your play style. If you enjoy helping others and trying to give your team an advantage by ganking then the Jungle Role might be for you.

Support - Support is the most important role in the game. Support is also the hardest role to learn in game. This is due to the rotations that they have to make during the game. Once a support hits level 6 they will need to start rotating all over the map just like a jungler would looking for more experience and trying to give another lane an advantage. They are in charge of late game calls and protecting your carries. With out support in the game you will have no front line to engage or no peel if your carries are being targeted. While everyone in game should be buying wards, the support is the one who should place the most, almost 2 times the amount of anyone else. There are two kinds of supports in the game. There are aggressive supports like Ares, Bacchus, Ymir, Xing Tian, and some Warriors who can fill that role. Then there are the supportive supports like Athena, Geb, Sylvanus, and Khepri. If you want to learn the game fast and have the ability to make calls and plays, then support is the role for you.

ADC/Hunter - The Hunter Role is a mix of all roles. You will need to farm just like in Solo lane. You will also be responsible for doing the most damage or close to the most damage on your team. The objective in most matches that you play as the ADC/Hunter will be to farm up, get items and kill or harass the opponents duo lane till you get down their T1 tower. At this point you can start rotating to team fights but you will periodically need to go back to defend your lane. You will need to carry the game through farm and kills but you will also need to rotate to any teamfights that happen mid to late game. The best current ADC/Hunter in the game is Rama, he is the single hunter in the S section of the tier lists. The is one other exception to this role because Freya can also fill the Hunter role but she is a Mage who plays very similar to a hunter through her abilities. Freya is also in the S tier. There are many good Hunters that can fill the role but some of the most popular are Apollo, Medusa, Neith, Xbalanque, and Ah Muzen Cab. If you like to Carry your team to victory and you enjoy ranged archer/hunter classes then the ADC/Hunter role could be for you.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  6. Smite Tier List for Conquest
    The most official tier list currently is the one that DM Brandon does after every patch. Brandon is an ex-pro player who is now working for Hi-Res as an analyst and commentator during the SPL (Smite Pro League). He is also the founder and leader of Juice Gaming. There is a lot of negative attention on him at times because of different things but he still knows his shit more than most. After every patch he will have a Pro player come on his show with him on Twitch and they will debate which tier each god will be in for that period of time.

You can find that tier list on the Juice Gaming website
    and right here at this link ===> Smite Conquest Tier List

Informative Streams
    Zapman ADC Team eGr - http://www.twitch.tv/zap55
    MattyPocket ex-Pro Support - http://www.twitch.tv/mattypocket
    Wolfy Pro player from Nobel - http://www.twitch.tv/competitive_online
    Weaken AFK Jungler - http://www.twitch.tv/weak3n
    Lassiz eGr Mid Laner - http://www.twitch.tv/lassiz
    DM Brandon - http://www.twitch.tv/dmbrandon

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
    Lightdark likes this.
  7. Jbigg Jay Biguos

Props on the thread, as an mmorpg based guild I am suprised more don't flock to this game from LotD, especially between major games, its strategic constant pvp of the WASD third person action combat variety.

I haven't played except BETA, but there is nothing else exciting going on imo.

8. Philoctetes Crowfall Leadership

Smite is pretty fun so far although the grind is real. I should have bought the all hero package on steam when it was on sale for 33% off :(

I'll play a a bit on the weekend. Some people have already added me as a friend.

9. the grind is only real if you keep losing. If you are winning then its 10x's better. You literally get 2x's everything.

10. Pookee Lord

Very nice write up Cal, thanks!

This is a very fun game. And I love the fact that in some instances your basic ranged aattack is not auto hit. I really love that that you have to aim and lead your targets to be able to hit.

11. Ichimaru Lord

Personally I've only spent about 8 hours on this game over the last 2 years. I feel like it has tons of potential, I've just never gotten around to making the time commitment to learn all the different god's skill kits + itemization's. I feel like that's going to be the largest barrier to entry for new players. The game has an option to have it auto-purchase items for you, but I don't know how good it is (probably not very good based on other games recommended items builds but maybe worth using in the very beginning stages?). Outside of all of that, most other basic concepts from League transfer over pretty easily. One other large difference worth noting is that the two outside lanes swap sides. The longer of the two (look at the distance between the towers on minimap) is the duo lane, while the shorter is the solo lane (see Cale's descriptions above), so its not an automatic "ADC/Support = bot lane" like it is in League.

+1, It also makes for some very large outplay potential because you can body block people's auto attacks.

12. Hades Lord of the Dead

It is very good to keep your MMORPG PVP timing and teamwork from getting rusty. Like our MMORPG PVP, a successful group requires you to know your role, have a balanced team, call shit out in voice chat, and be situationally aware.

@Lord
    @ArcheAge Chapter

13. Pookee Lord

I haven't fully explored this yet, but there is an option out of game to basically set up kits for your character. It would be mind blowing and very cool if you can kit out your character out of game and when in game the auto buy option follows the path that you laid down out of game.

14. that is exactly how it works, but the reason why I would not suggest that is because you will buy different things against different gods.

15. Pookee Lord

Good point, especially if you're playing a character that can go support/x depending on match up.

16. Still playing about 4-10 hours daily, if anyone is interested hit me up!

17. Supe987 Inactive Chapter Member

Been farting around casually think it listed Calebreth as a referral just only at home about half the week right now and often cooking and cleaning / working on the condo since the divorce until it sells.

Calebreth likes this.
  18. Thanks Supe, Keep up the playing, I need people to get to lvl 15 on their account to actually get shit :p