New Website bug/fix with suggestions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cedwyn, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Cedwyn Banned

I don't know what's going on. Someone hacked our website and made it super ugly!

Couple things to note:
    -html appears to be broken for sigs (look at Peril's sig, wtf dude)
    -Please add a new menu heading for recruiting. On our old site we had image links on the left that look people to our recruitment posts.
    ie. "Join LotD" -> "Guild Wars 2", "Whatever else we are playing"; links to recruitment posts/apps
    -Can we add a horizontal bar between sticky posts and normal posts?
    -For the 'what's new', is it possible to customize this view? I don't like how small the font is for where the thread is located. On the old forums it said on the right in nice bright yellow which forum the post belonged too.
    -Profile pages, some are missing the dark background, so you have white text on light background, go going peril.

2. I blame Obama!

3. xenon Dutch Elder

Hacked our website ?
    You smoking too much cock lately ? again ?
    We told you numerous times, again and again, it's not something you can live on. You need to eat real food also from time to time like vegetables etc.

Besides, I agree the website needs some work still...

So.. now release Gaun from your cellar and let him go back to his dogs...

4. Leshil Warlord

PM system and navigation is a bit counter-intuitive now. Some forum permissions are unavailable when they should be available to lords. Shit is crazy looking on an Ipad. No way for chapter nubs to request access to forums. At least it's a fucked up method finding it. I'm going back to drinking, I'm older now and hate fucking change. Makes me feel like a lost old woman in a mall.

5. A head's up that a new forum was going to be implemented today would've been nice; yes I know it's been talked about for quite a few years.
    I could have saved some things... as all of my albums are gone...or at least I don't see anyway to access them.
    Is this permanent or just a test drive?

6. Valor Buffalo Rancher

Someone change the name of this thread to bug/fix with suggestions, please.

Mobile admin features aren't available it appears.

7. xenon Dutch Elder

Done

8. Del Inactive Chapter Member

I actually don't like the look of the site. The opacity on the post content area + the background makes it way too busy. That and apparently gifs don't work anymore as avatars? BLEH.

9. Leshil Warlord

Need the group memberships area for new chapter members...or at least an easier way for them to apply to chapter and request access to forums. Also, I can't see beta forums now.

10. GC Official Boob Inspector

Make sure to IM PerilX if you have any permission issues. He'll get you squared away.

11. I see that the background scene revolves with a few pics. I like the ominous town one with the crows and the semi-crucified hanging person. Seems fitting.
    The ruined city scape one reminds me of a scene out of the movie, Idiocracy. :p

12. Valor Buffalo Rancher

Just need Warlord set as the primary user group over chapter leadership.

13. Evoex Maple Syrup & Dudes

Someone doesn't like being yellow ;)

14. Couple requests:

Post reply button at the top of the page would be nice.
    A hot link of the "What's New" (the old "View New Posts") on the main menu bar, without having to navigate to it.

15. Niir Elder

Or put 'what's new' at the top of quick links at least?

16. Valor Buffalo Rancher

Can't minimize sub forums on mobile.

17. perilX Administrator

Responding to everything at once here.
    -html appears to be broken for sigs (look at Peril's sig, wtf dude)
    HTML isn't supported on this forum system. When we do get it in, it's going to require a BBtag outside of the html. All html would have to get edited anyways.
    -Please add a new menu heading for recruiting. On our old site we had image links on the left that look people to our recruitment posts.
    ie. "Join LotD" -> "Guild Wars 2", "Whatever else we are playing"; links to recruitment posts/apps
    It is there. It's on the right?
    -Can we add a horizontal bar between sticky posts and normal posts?
    Hrmm, probably not. But I might be able to make it more distinguished.
    -For the 'what's new', is it possible to customize this view? I don't like how small the font is for where the thread is located. On the old forums it said on the right in nice bright yellow which forum the post belonged too.
    Hrmm, I might be able to change the link color, maybe the font size.
    -Profile pages, some are missing the dark background, so you have white text on light background, go going peril.Some forum permissions are unavailable when they should be available to lords.
    -Yeah, I might have missed a background box. Will address.
    -opacity on the post content area + the background
    I increased the opacity.
    -A hot link of the "What's New" (the old "View New Posts") on the main menu bar, without having to navigate to it.
    I mean I could definitely add it. But I really don't see how it's all that necessary since it's in the dropdown... I might come up with another way. I don't want the NavBar to have too many tabs.

18. Leshil Warlord

My # 1 request is that the site be user friendly whether on mobile or a computer. I think some things are getting cutoff on my Ipad-not sure. I know lots to do with this migration/change, and just making sure I get the new setup, so I can make sure new members in the NW chapter get the proper SoP. I'm on vacation, so can't see what it looks like on a Windows system.

19. perilX Administrator

Yeah, once the screen is made to a smaller size, the sidebars are removed. They move to a dropdown at the bottom of the list.

20. Cedwyn Banned

Re: Recruitment

The image/link is only on the forum page. The old site had this too, it's a little dumb imo. It should be on the main page (lotd.org) as well as the forum page.

Re: What's New

I use this all the time, so 1-less click would be nice :)

Re: Customization

Is there any way to customize the layout ourselves? I haven't had time to poke around, but if there is (or a module for it), that would be cool (since we are adding to the site).

Re: Other ideas / Stuff

1) If we can't separate the stickies from non-stickies, what about changing the font style/colour/size to stand out more.

2) There is a 'new' red button at the corner of every post, I assume this means this post is 'new', but it looks like a button that you can click. I think it needs a different graphic aside from the rest of the buttons (since it isn't a button).

3) The small grey text on the grey background for a lot of the secondary items (post time, thread title, etc.) is difficult to read imo. Maybe others can chime in their thoughts, but I think it needs to be a little lighter.

4) Message text - is it white or off-white? Ie. The post reply button has white text. Is there a reason you didn't use pure white? I think it is easier to read on this background.

5) Thread title at top of page has no background colour/effect, makes it hard to see on the background image. You could try having a black shadow outline around the text which would make it easier to read without having some stupid looking box there. However, the info at the top of the thread suffers the same issue as #4 and it doesn't have any background, it's like you hate me Peril.

6) Can we have the edit button of the right again like the old forums?

7) I like the red colour on the buttons, can we put this colour anywhere else? This site looks great but is very grey. Needs more blood :p Ie. red borders would be subtle yet good looking; horizontal lines or borders on posts; etc.