News Letter

Discussion in 'Camelot Unchained' started by Guilford, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Guilford Warlord

Unveiled: Camelot Unchained Newsletter #27 - City State Entertainment

[​IMG] Share
    [​IMG] Tweet
    [​IMG] +1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Team Tidings
    -by Max Porter
    Hey folks,

A happy end of October and beginning of November to you. If you celebrate Halloween, I hope you’re getting into the proper spirit! It’s one of our favorite times of year here at City State Entertainment™, and at least for our East Coast office, the trees are really turning brilliant colors as they put on their own “Fall Court” armor (of the Tuatha Dé Danann, of course).

There aren't too many ways of saying it; this has been a really productive month in the push toward Beta 1. As you may have noticed in the past couple of updates, the User Story entries grew so numerous that Tyler was utterly swamped by them, and had to split ‘em up over multiple weeks! You can really see how things are getting dropped into the game build at a truly rapid pace, now that so much more of the backend structural pieces have been built. If you want to get right to reading about all the new stuff, head down to State of the Build, where Cory sums up a bunch of the progress.

At the same time, we have not been neglecting to give you more in-depth presentations on certain important pieces of the developing game. For one thing, our most recent Bring Out Your Devs™ livestream in that series brought you a massive deep dive into the ability system for Camelot Unchained™, from Ben, Rob, Tim, and Marc. The discussion was quite involved, and so were the many questions answered on stream! On top of that, you won’t want to miss the important update on the Min Spec for Camelot Unchained that Andrew streamed, where he also answered a bunch of technical questions! Really, the airwaves have been brimming with livestreams from us of all kinds, from the lovely art streams to detailed programming streams and regular doses of lore from yours truly (and there’s a new installment of that further down)! With all this streaming, we’ve also stated simultaneously streaming to YouTube as well as Twitch, and all our videos are saved here and here.

If you’re more the type who likes to read an in-depth piece rather than listen to it, you’ve come to the right place. Read on for art, articles, designs, lore, and much more goodness, and please enjoy this, the twenty-seventh issue of Unveiled.
    [​IMG]
    Hot Topics

The latest topics of discussion on the forums right now are the latest tests and the ongoing, friendly C.U.B.E. competitions!

Join the discussion on the forums on our website to bring your thoughts and ideas to the discussion table!
    Look What You Did
    Thank you so much to those who participated in our fan art contest for Gargoyle illustrations! We had two entries, and they’re both awesome, so here they are. First up, this dramatic entry from Necromaniak, with some of the inspirational text pulled from the Gargoyle Becoming™ story:
    [​IMG]
    "Unheard, Romain begged his old stone guardians, his mascots of the cathedral, to protect the children, caring nothing for himself. His blood poured from the open wounds in his back, and then right out of his pores as the supernatural thunder burst on him."
    And next, this dark and gothic entry from Orkbane, along with some of the inspirational text from the Gargoyle Becoming™ story:
    [​IMG]
    A tiny girl grasped the statue that had once been Goji by the arm. She wept into his shoulder, instantly soaked by the whirling storm. The rain whipped at them, and she shrieked as her hair was twisted and pulled by the fingers of the wind.
    Amazing stuff! Thanks again!

For our next contest, we return to the realm of fan fiction! In fact, let's make it a multi-Realm contest. Briefly describe the history of a place that all three Realms might fight over. What qualities might such a location possess? What draws each of the vastly different Realms to battle for it? How has such a place survived through the ages, or through so many battles? Use 250 words or less, post your entries in the thread you'll see pop up in the Fan Fiction section of the forums, and we'll pick a favorite to publish in the next newsletter!
    Thank You
    Let the halls ring once again with a big thank you to Ludovic, who sent us duck humidifiers, duck soap, and a strange… duck… mask….Oh no!!!
    [​IMG]
    A big thank you to Apollon, Backer and German translator, who sent us a package that we opened on stream! It contained an amazing collection of special coffees, gingerbread treats, and of course a stunning gingerbread heart, which we showed in a newspost! Here’s Tyler with the very last package of special coffee, about to make it in the pot.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Dose of Design
    -by Ben Pielstick
    Finding the Fun

A lot of the time and effort that goes into game development revolves around getting things into a basic functional state. In last month’s newsletter, I talked about how this happens during prototyping; taking ideas get from abstract concepts to working, playable systems, ready for testing. Now that we’re a month further along in our development, I thought this would be a good time to discuss the next step after getting the foundation laid for an important game system (such as combat), which is “finding the fun”.

When the prototype version of a new feature makes its way into the game for the first time, it almost always still has a long way to go before being finalized and ready to ship. While a good prototype will accurately bring the core concept of a design to life for the first time, there are still likely to be a lot of details yet to be worked out, and many rounds of adjustments yet to be made before a feature really starts to bring about the level of enjoyment it was meant to.

Laying a good foundation has a lot to do with how easy or difficult this process is. This can be for many reasons; for example, modularity—to replace parts of a system with better ones without having to perform a total rebuild--or scalability, such as requiring a lot of optimizations to improve performance. As another example: Restructuring data sources to move from hard-coded values to a scripting or database-driven solution. An ideal prototype is one that can be built quickly, iterated on, and expanded easily. These attributes are often at odds with each other, however: Rough, inflexible systems are generally the fastest to build in order to see if an idea works, and throw out as little as possible if it doesn’t, while more cleanly written and readily extensible solutions tend to take longer, but can be more easily built upon when it comes time to iterate.

Iterating on game features, testing them, and iterating some more, is where game designers tend to spend a lot of their time. A lot of the fun that gets put into a game comes from the subtleties of layering details on top of a system that play the largest role in defining the player’s experience of the game. This includes things like revising audio and visual cues, adjusting balance numbers, and revising scripted responses to input. It is surprising sometimes how even small changes can make a big difference in the player’s perception of how fun the game is. Things like the number of footsteps a character takes per meter, the way a button highlights to indicate it is ready for use, or the volume of the sound effect that plays when a player initiates a certain action, can drastically affect how responsive and “fun” a game feels without even diving into far more obvious things like how much damage an attack does, or how long a spell takes to cast.

As you might expect, it can be a long and difficult process to analyze every aspect of a system and carefully adjust it to maximize fun, while maintaining harmony with all the other parts of the game. Abilities, after all, must be fun to play against and counter as well as to use against opponents, and effects that work well on their own also must work well in the chaos of a battle, where they get mixed in with lots of other effects happening all at once. This is why a lot of testing and multiple rounds of iteration are required, and why going from the first pass at a new system to a completed experience players will find a lot more fun takes quite a while.

As of right now, we are nearing the end of our prototyping stage for combat in Camelot Unchained. The core ability components for each class have been scripted and are currently being tested. Very soon, our new system for providing audio and visual feedback to the client will be ready to let us play animations, sounds, and particle effects coinciding with the use of abilities built from these components. As the first time the system will be in place, this will give us our first look at combat gameplay as it is meant to be in Camelo

Evoex likes this.
  2. Evoex Maple Syrup & Dudes

Thanks for the update Guilford

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

3. Glisseal Lord

This shit is worse than spam in my e-mails. It's like a fucking a reality TV show.....bad very bad. Not the game mind you but just the constant "hey i moved a inch from last week update!" Still 6 to 8 months before beta 1.

4. Sanjo Mr. No Fucks Given

That sucks about beta 1...

Oh well - better to polish that shit before the jaded masses get their grubby mitts on it.

5. Glisseal Lord

That 6 to 8 months is just my guess. I don't think there was anything about a time frame for beta in the newsletter.

6. Glisseal Lord

I'm going to update my alpha stuff since it's been 3 months since i logged in. This talk of beta 1 starting soon has me thinking they are pulling my leg.​

7. Evoex Maple Syrup & Dudes

Haha

8. Georgetta Gear Level 9000

Their emails are WAAAAY TLDR. Are they actually talking about beta now?

9. Evoex Maple Syrup & Dudes

Yeah they invited Beta 1 to some sort of Chat Testing and hinted at Beta 1 coming to server testing

Georgetta likes this.
  10. Georgetta Gear Level 9000