PC Gaming CPU Guide - Sept 2016

Discussion in 'LotD Merchandise/Hot Deals/Sweet Gear' started by Hades, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Hades Lord of the Dead

http://www.pcgamesn.com/best-cpu-for-gaming

I wouldn't think a lowly Core I5 would be a monster cpu.....

2. Evoex Maple Syrup & Dudes

Makes sense, last i heard games dont take advantage of hyper threading of the i7s. Some people claim larger cache of i7s make a difference but everything ive read says its negligible at best.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

3. Ren Elder

The Core i7 processor has HyperThreading enabled, which means each core is capable of two concurrent processing threads. That gives it eight threads to the i5’s four, but it’s only really going to be in productivity tasks where the higher thread count will come into play. That said, if you’re heavily into your video editing, streaming or game capture then it might be worth spending the money on the beefier CPU. And if you don’t want to risk overclocking the i7 6700K comes with a base clockspeed of 4GHz as standard, giving you plenty of CPU speed without having to tweak the clocks yourself.

4. Ren Elder

Piikaa likes this.
  5. Pookee Lord

It's always you older motherfuckers talking together in some of these threads. Don't you have your own, private forums for that? Why spillover your elitist club where the plebeians can see it?

6. Sanjo Mr. No Fucks Given

I still have my i7-3930k - score 3736

Almost looks like it's time to upgrade - I'll wait till BF like
    @Ren though.

WOnder what the fastest CPU I can pop in there with my mobo socket 1155

7. Sanjo Mr. No Fucks Given

Well after a quick search - it seems that the 3930k is the top cpu for LGA1155.

Guess I'll just buy a second GTX680 to SLI in there and let her go for a few more years.

Then it will be time for a whole new cpu/mobo combo.

Original manufacturer date on my CPU is back in 2011, lol...

Piikaa likes this.
  8. Leshil Warlord

I7 6700k @ 4.8ghz w/ new style chip HD and 980ti has treated me well so far. I think it's 1151 socket though.

9. Hades Lord of the Dead

I checked CPUboss and others. I have a Core I-7 4710, and there is only a 10% performance increase for one of the top tier 6000 series so it isn't worth dropping 2K for a new rig. My GTX 880 is still on par with a GTX 970. I probably won't upgrade anything for a year.

10. Leshil Warlord

I wouldn't either right now. I made the jump because I had a 2600k for 6 years.

11. Piikaa Warlord

Yep, I still have my i7 @ 2600.

12. Supe987 Inactive Chapter Member

I still like my fx-8350 it may not have as much single clock speed but with most programs utilizing at least 2 cores now it easily uses 4 or 5 allot of the time with great load times thanks to the ssd's :)

Some day AMD will release the upgrade heh

13. Philoctetes Crowfall Leadership

eh I also made the jump into a 6700k against my better judgement. I was beginning to run into motherboard incompatibility issues with Win 10 and RAM failures so I just said fuck it. Even when the new CPU's are released it's just another 5-10% boost, if that, until possibly Q4 2017.

More importantly the new MacBook Pro's and Mac Pro's are expected.

14. Leshil Warlord

I love my 6700 with the new chip only style ssd in the new mobo's

Philoctetes likes this.