Photon Cannon Rush

Discussion in 'Protoss Discussion' started by zeta, Aug 16, 2010.

1. zeta Lord

Has anyone had the pleasure of being on the receiving end of one of these?

Man, the first time I encountered it, the guy gave me enough time to pump out 3 immortals and own his shit, but when a competent player does it before I'm ready, it's tough to go up against. I've even cheesed it up a couple times myself to try it out, and it's worked both times so far.

After I got hit by it I did some research and there's a whole walkthrough on it here:

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=143214

fun stuff

2. Koribundar Inactive Chapter Member

Ahhhh, the cheese.

It makes me want to take a pair of pliers, gently grab your gooch, apply a fair amount of pressure, look you in the eye, give a quick wink...

AND TWIST THAT SHIT WHILE PULLING IN DIFFERENT DIRECTIONS WHILE GRABBING A RAZOR BLADE AND SLICING YOUR BALL SAC OPEN, THEN GRABBING A CONTAINER OF MORTONS SALT AND EMPTYING THAT SHIT RIGHT INTO THE OPEN WOUND WHILE LISTENING TO ROY ORBISON.

Nope, never happened to me.

3. Hades Lord of the Dead

We have seen this far too many times, and it is usually used against our protoss players. It nearly always seems to fuck them up, and get them out of the game early. Cheese or not, if it works, we should consider it when the opportunity arises.

4. zeta Lord

lol...I know the feeling

So it's been used against you in a team setting? I would imagine that, the second you see this guy wasting resources on cannons/pylons outside of someones base, the rest of your team could rush in with a handfull of units and own him--considering that this is usually an all-in build (ie. no army to defend). As long as you react quick enough, it should not pose a real problem... The reason why it's so effective 1v1 is that it's relatively cheap, quick and hard to counter without teching...which takes time

5. Furyos Warlord

This was even more common in Starcraft I when cannons had relatively longer ranges and were more difficult to destroy (static defenses are a lot less strong in SC2).

You should NEVER lose to a cannon rush. In 1v1 you should be scouting immediately after your first pylon/overlord/supply depot.

In a 3v3 or 4v4 match, 2 and 3 players, respectively, should be scouting at the same time above, unless you all went random.... in which case only one person should scout.

If any protoss opponent is warping in a forge instead of a gateway, expect a photon cannon rush.

They are easy to defend as long as you don't wait to scout.

As a side, when you are scouting, if your enemy doesn't chase you, leave your probe/scv/drone outside and scout again after your barracks/gateway/pool gets built. You will almost always learn their tech order with that second scouting run.

6. Jbigg Jay Biguos

When I played my 1v1 protoss games, it was very effective to add three or so cannons to your advanced pylons giving my stalkers the ability to harass the enemy and not be charged, I also would try to take points that would cut off expansion and that.

7. Koribundar Inactive Chapter Member

Successfully pulled it off tonight.

Did it once, it worked, I feel good.

Enough cheese.

8. halibutk Member

I did it to ensure I got my 5 game winning streak (kept having difficulty completing it), then decided i didn't like that cheesy method.

9. I've seen it used to tie up players well in team battles, the few times its been used against me in 1v1 it wasn't hard to counter.

Of course, as a terran player all you need is a siege tank and something to give you that extra bit of LOS.

I think the main reason I countered it easily in my 1v1's was because the guys who would try it didn't follow it up with much pressure. It seemed like the common attitude of theres was "Oh, well that 1 kept him in his base so I'll build 2-3 more". Meanwhile I can ignore it and harass with air units or punch a hole with siege tanks.

Fuck, I even had one guy who build 3 or 4 turret walls in chokepoints, lord knows why. I just did a rolling advance with a handful of vikings/ST's and he quit before I even started bombarding his base. :(

I dunno. I could see it ruining someones day if you managed to plop one down close enough to his resource collection or production buildings to trip him up a bit, but placing them outside someones base doesn't seem to do much beyond discouraging the other guy from chasing your units if you get repelled during an assault.

prolly better off spending the resources on blocking avenues of expansion, really.