Star Citizen?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Trial, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Trial Inactive Chapter Member

Hi All;

Just looking at games set to release in 2016 - as we all know I am anxiously awaiting CU...BUT....

Has anyone looked into Star Citizen, it looks like a MMORPG much in the same arena as Eve, but this is hardcore style PVP in that you keep what you kill - full loot, or so its claimed.

I havent looked into it much but it looks pretty legit, if anyone else has any info on it id love to give it a good look and would even pledge their Crowdfunding (which is over 98 MILLION dollars) to get a look at Alpha stuff.

Thanks
    -Trial

Sinic likes this.
  2. Ren Elder

http://www.lotd.org/forum/star-citizen.517/

I would characterize our guild interest right now as primarily one eye on CF and the other on CU. But SC will be a quality game - I wager we will get up some sizable interest if a release date doesn't conflict with either of those other two. I simply tuned out for the time being as the dev cycle is very long and lost interest with the ongoing ship sales pressure.

3. There is a shit ton of people who have invested money in SC but that was a while ago, this game has been on hold for soooo long. I don't even know if its gonna launch at this point. I actually think there is a leadership team in place for SC already too.

4. Trial Inactive Chapter Member

What do you mean on hold? In development? With the mass amount of money spent you would think they have to launch or else dont they have to refund?

I dont really like that the game is set up sort of like eve where real money plays a big part. Hopefully its just like a headstart and by a few months into the game that money doesnt matter as much and hopefully they dont add pay to win elements like buying new guns or fancy toys etc.

Anyhow, cant believe I missed out on this - would be cool to set up a 3 monitor joystick computer rig to really get at a game like this, but if its a lost cause oh well.

I basically just want a new MMORPG to get into as Archeage failed and I really hate joining games mid way through - so I hope there is something I can dive into in 2016.

Thanks

5. Ren Elder

It's not on hold - they just today announced Alpha 2.0 and the recent gameplay videos released within the last month (was it from Pax?) looked very far along. The issues are 1) there is a huge pile of money involved... 90ish million last I heard with constant ongoing income due to ship sales, and 2) Chris Roberts has his fingers in everything and may (or may not) be increasing costs due to his very high expectations for quality.

Put it all together and I think the game will be absolutely fantastic, but we may have to wait a long time for it to be fully completed.

6. Trial Inactive Chapter Member

In terms of ships/hangars, because of the ability to purchase and plan this way - do we have leadership on this? AKA if Im telling you I can put some $$ toward this game, what if anything should I put focus towards for the good of the group.

If this is to be like the first person mmorpg game much like Eve, we will need a level of organization not necessary in many games. I clearly cant be a leader on this for many reasons - not the least of which is I just started researching, but I do want to purchase a hangar/ships so please let me know and ill tow the company line.

Thanks!

7. Gnarkiller Member

This is the problem with early access games. It was better when a dev worked on a game for 3 to 4 years before they even announced it. Now they announce it before the game engine is even built and when it takes 3 to 4 years, which to be honest is a completely normal amount of time to make a game from scratch, people complain it is taking sooooo long and have lost interest. I'm not a big fan of the new way of development.

8. Glisseal Lord

At 90 mil....if this game fails look for big ass lawsuits from several groups of kickstarters.

9. Trial Inactive Chapter Member

Well its moving along in alpha nicely and with AC up to play i think its well on its way - beta by end of 2016 id bet launch in 2017 - just a guess

10. Soth Administrator

This is going to be a great game - but it is still far from launch. At this point in alpha it is little more than a (very fun) flight simulator. But there are literally pages of features they've said will be in the final version of the game. At the moment I'm trying not to watch it too closely because I know it is far away. Once it hits the beta stage, I will start following it a lot closer. My guess is, at the current rate, it will be 2 years or more before beta hits though.

I have more faith in Chris Roberts to execute an amazing MMO than anyone else on the planet though. He has a track record of making games I love. He is a perfectionist though, and since he has no publisher pushing him on a deadline, I could see him taking a ridiculously long time to complete the game. This game has been affected by feature creep like no other I've ever seen.

11. Bushido Inactive Chapter Member

My guess is, at the current rate, it will be 2 years or more before beta hits though
    People are still selling ships for irl cash right now. The game isnt even out yet.