Storyboard: Working without /random

Discussion in 'Gaming News' started by Massively, Dec 27, 2013.

By Massively on Dec 27, 2013 at 7:15 PM
  1. Massively Member

Filed under: Game Mechanics, Opinion, Roleplaying, Storyboard, Miscellaneous

[​IMG]
    Two weeks ago, you might recall, I ranted about using random rolls as a mechanic of resolution when roleplaying in MMOs. For those of you who can't be bothered to go back and read the whole thing now (which I totally understand; you probably have holiday games burning a hole in your pocket), the core point was that random rolls don't actually tie to anything for resolution and wind up coming off as an obvious and unfun kludge for the sake of random resolution.

"Well, if you're so smart, why don't you come up with alternatives?" And I did. Readers also had some wonderful suggestions and feedback in the comments last week, which make the article even more worth reading, so really, go ahead and take a look at it. This week, I'm taking a look at how you're going to resolve conflicts in roleplaying without relying on what amounts to a coin flip. And as you may have expected, they're all taking tips from tabletop games.
    Continue reading Storyboard: Working without /random

[​IMG]
    Storyboard: Working without /random originally appeared on Massively on Fri, 27 Dec 2013 14:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

Continue reading...

Comments

Discussion in 'Gaming News' started by Massively, Dec 27, 2013.