Surround sound gaming headset

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Iseng, May 21, 2016.

1. Iseng Warlord

Anyone have any suggestions? Looking for a good 7.1surround gaming headset.

@Lake @Sanjo @anyone

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  2. Ren Elder

Lobo says all the coolest shooter kids are using HyperX Cloud 2.

3. Sanjo Mr. No Fucks Given

4. Lake Warlord

5. Lake Warlord

I have also heard good things about the G1. Similar the 598 in sound quality. The usb soundcard plug ins for headphones to give you "7.1" is bobo. If you want as true as it gets surround sound get a soundcard and use audiophile headphones.

But here are the G1s
    http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-GAME-ONE-Gaming-Headset/dp/B00KK8ZLEC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_147_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41g+-0zw03L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR152,160_&refRID=0404SMJC6HRWJKC5ZES0

Edit:eek:h and pick open backed if you want then cleanest sound

6. Evoex Maple Syrup & Dudes

Agreed with Lake and I know Sanjo agrees.

USB is sub par when it comes to sound quality and the 7.1 is nonsense.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

7. Philoctetes Crowfall Leadership

Echoing that surround sound headphones are for the most part complete bullshit. Get a good pair of audiophile headphones and a separate mic for a good time.

8. Sanjo Mr. No Fucks Given

Yep, USB is substandard. If you can afford a standalone set, I'm still using my Sennheiser 595HD and a $10 clip on zalman microphone.

Back in the day the standalone so we're the way to go since you could justbuywhatever part broke. Ear foam, mic, left driver, etc.

I've had my 595 for like.... 5-6 years and never had them fail me.

5.1 or 7.1 is just a gimmick but you can tell some people that. You only have 2 ears, you only need 2 drivers. Most of the 'surround hocus pocus' is done in the sound cards of the Sennheiser USB links. Which is pretty neat and considering they are the hOttest pair on the market at a reasonable price, I'd probably give them a try if I was in the market.

You can't go wrong with Sennheiser either way you go.

9. I bought a Hyper X Cloud like 4 months ago and I'm not real thrilled with the removable microphone, it gives me a lot of trouble, people say I sound like a robot sometimes. I cannot speak for the Hyper X Cloud 2.

10. perilX Administrator

Really depends how much you're looking to spend.

200-300, you're in the range where you're getting a soundcard and either PC360s, ATH-ADG1X or a pair of headphones+modmic or zalman.

100-200, looking at a cheaper soundcard (DGX), ATH-AD700x/HD 558+modmic or zalman.

50-100, SteelSeries Siberia 200s. My whole team uses these for CS:GO as they're our sponsor, but if they sucked they probably wouldn't use them. The only complaint has been from 1 player saying they are too tight.

In general for soundstage ("surround), you're going to want open ears. If you're playing in a crowded place or with a lot of noise, you want closed ears which also have the best bass response.

11. Ren Elder

When we had that monster headset thread a year or so back, I went with an Audiotechnica as it is known for being super comfortable - I have a fat head (so much grey matter to fit in one skull) so that is an important consideration for me. Absolutely no complaints either! I also like the zalman lapel mic although apparently it is super sensitive and sometimes picks up people/cats in my house a couple rooms away.

12. Iseng Warlord

Thanks for the feedback!

13. Sarge Lord

14. Soth Administrator

I was tempted to do the kickstarter for this one, but then I didn't :p

http://www.ossic.com/

I'd probably be worried about the drivers tho