USA is no longer a democracy - is now an Oligarchy according to Princeton Study

Discussion in 'Free For All Chat - Unmoderated Discussion' started by Soth, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Soth Administrator

Calebreth likes this.
  2. Sounds accurate

3. Sanjo Mr. No Fucks Given

Has that not been the case since killing/displacing all the native americans in this country, over 500 years ago when columbus came over with his little group of colonial crackers?

Crazy to think that was 500 years ago...

Just think of all the horrible shit people forgot (or try to hide/forget) about our countries last 50 years worth of history, let along tack another zero on the end of that.

We're on the brink of civil war again though - so I guess all things old - are new again.

RaDiOaCtIvE likes this.
  4. Gah. I'm starting to think seeing as I hate typing so much I should just wait tell Sanjo replies to something, copy it, then claim he stole it from me. Be a lot easier/smarter way to do things.

5. Soth Administrator

Not really, at least according to the princeton study.

The center piece of the argument is basically that to become the presidential candidate for the democrats or republicans you need to be able to spend 200-300 million dollars. That usually only happens if you are funded by a billionaire super pac. Which basically means that small group of billionaires are who is controlling the country. A recent development of the last 20-30 years.

Former president Jimmy Carter said last year that he believes the usa is an oligarchy and that he would never have been able to run for president in this day and age for example.

A democracy is where citizens have a representative in government looking out for their interests. These days government reps are bought by special interest groups, and an election is usually just an illusion of choice.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  6. Sanjo Mr. No Fucks Given

As far as current politics go (I enjoy US and international politics) but this election cycle is a circus.

Donald is the worlds stereotype of the 'ignorant american' - and it would almost be funny if it wasn't so god damn sad.

And money absolutely runs not just the usa but the world. No question. Everything is bought and paid for.

7. Evoex Maple Syrup & Dudes

C.R.E.A.M. !

8. Lake Warlord

Totally agree. No matter who is the President of the US they all approve laws that benefit big cooperation.

http://www.centerforfoodsafety.org/...to-protection-act-is-back-and-worse-than-ever

9. Jbigg Jay Biguos

Yes to big Cooperation! We can do it if we work together!
    Do do doooo do do doooo

10. PaleOne Tan IRL

what is really sad is that no one remembers that we were never a democracy to begin with...

We were given a Republic :)

Istarien likes this.
  11. Cedwyn Banned

The USA is a fascist despot. Fascism: "an authoritarian and nationalistic right-wing system of government and social organization". Despot: "Despotism is a form of government in which a single entity rules with absolute power. That entity may be an individual, as in an autocracy, or it may be a group, as in an oligarchy. The word despotism means to "rule in the fashion of a despot" and does not necessarily require a singular "despot", an individual."

Part of the problem is your nationalist attitude: "USA, the free" or whatever crap your patriots spew. Nationalism is a big problem for any country as it tends to dismiss opposing attitudes as "not patriotic". Ie. "I hate capitalism" = "I don't support my country". A giant circlejerk where you are either "American" or not. Unlike other countries where the individual has different points of view, lots of Americans believe a specific view of what it means to be "American" and having opposing views means you hate the country. The whole gun problem you have is a great example, "We have a right to have a gun" and "Our civil history is based on gun control" and other nationalistic ideas around gun possession.

The USA is a hegemony. "Hegemony is political or cultural dominance or authority over others. The hegemony of the popular kids over the other students means that they determine what is and is not cool. Hegemony comes from the Greek hegemon 'leader.'" As a superpower, you build a giant military complex to keep your title of 'superpower' (via might/army power, not necessarily economic) and with this it allows you to control a lot of the world (via "allies", protection, bombing, whatever). In other words, you have a lot of push.

People in power don't actually care about your country, they only care that your country is in the position to push others around, and thus have invested in maintaining your countries power position. Once your country starts falling, everyone will jump the bandwagon and move to China/India/Russia/whoever and begin the process all over again. Once the next superpower takes over, their citizens will be living the comfortable life with consumerism and capitalism, and people will look to make a profit off that. The USA will become more 'normal' because they no longer have to maintain their hegemony and therefore and start focusing on bettering their own country (ie. minimizing the military spending). All empires faced this reality and once they stopped expanding / holding the power, their citizens had better lives overall.

You will always have corruption and greed, but when you are no longer the top country, you are going to have less rats trying to take all the cheese. All those people will go to the next big country to try and molest them, meanwhile your country will have far less leeches and a lot more cheese to give to all your citizens.

12. Piikaa Warlord

13. Sanjo Mr. No Fucks Given

I'm sure most of the country wouldn't mind :D

We could get rid of Valor too - so that's killing 2 birds with 1 stone!

RaDiOaCtIvE, Piikaa and Ren like this.
  14. Soulshox Lord

Would have to deport those Texans from the USA as well. They'll be illegal immigrants!

15. Piikaa Warlord

Probably have to work out dual citizenship. It's pretty standard in these situations where a sovereign nation regains self rule.

16. Pshh. So to sum it up: "I wanna be my own country but I still should be a part of yours!". Logic right there

17. Piikaa Warlord

Logic, yes. And so much more...