What counters baneling and zergling rush as a terran

Discussion in 'Zerg Discussion' started by Xenogrant[Combine], Aug 30, 2010.

1. Xenogrant[Combine] Active Member

Play very little multiplayer, bronze league maybe 10 games or so, won every single game vs terran, lost every one vs zerg. Watched all terran vids and resources and strats, but don't quite understand what counters banelings busting through my wall in.

couple games i got zerged just as my first siege tank was rolling out with siege mode upgrade. Switching it from barracks, while constantly pumping ground units and walling off top ramp. Should i wall off with bunker with supply depots behind them and pushing fast siege mode/tank backbone behing the wall in, so banelings kill bunker instead with the wall of supplies still behind it. Last time banelings just ripped through the wall and lings overwhelmed the ground units, and the one tank didn't siege up in time as it was rolling out of production.

Does going mech, with minterals pumped into helions behind the wall in with siege tanks, work better at fending off first attack, followed by a hellion counter attack, with a banshee follow up? Keep losing to Zerg on first rush.

2. Cedwyn Banned

I don't play much multiplayer, but from videos, there seems to be a few counters:

1) Don't wall with depots/bunker, use rax/factory.
    2) If using bioball, have a few marauders with conshells to slow banelings while stimming/retreating. Banelings aren't good vs. marauder.
    3) Use your helions to take care of zerglings, as banelings don't do much damage to helions.

As you mentioned, a good counter is banshee with a wall-in. Once you force them to produce hydras, you can produce ST (which destroy hydras).

3. Fortify your wall with more buildings... A early baneling bust is an ALL in attack... Once they try and bust your wall (they will get through your first layer) you will have a second wall waiting... you counterattack and win the game. You could try for helions and PE upgrade but may not have it up by then, and helions won't stand too well on the counter attack if the zerg is properly defended.

Best bet is to have supply depots as first one, barracks + factory as second wall. Stimpack is also important for the counterattack and you can not forget to micro or you will lose.

4. Xenogrant[Combine] Active Member

any way to know they're coming at me with banelings, and not just a ling rush.

I usually have reapers bouncing around their base early on, but don't really fully understand the building order for zerg, to perpare for it.

5. Scout! Scouting is incredibly important in this game.

6. Xenogrant[Combine] Active Member

am i scouting for banelings themselves which could be rallied off to some dark corner, or are there certain buildings, double vespene etc for me to be able to tell they're going for bane rush?

7. Obitrice Warlord

There's a building you could see when you scout or scan.

My advice would be to play against the AI as zerg and learn a little bit about how they build up and what their buildings looks like. It's tough for me to recognize buildings for zerg and protoss since I've never played those races. I find that playing as zerg/protoss in easy mode vs the AI helps some. Just like with anything else it takes practice.

Getting a tank out with seige mode will definitely help soften the blow. Always remember to use an scv to repair structures that are getting damaged as soon as possible too.

8. Putting SCVs on repair is a waste because they will not be able to out-repair the dmg coming from burst type dmg (banelings) better to have them for econ. Also... A single siege tank isn't going to do shit unless it can get off more then a single shot. Better to have stimpacked marines/marauders (as long as they are behind the wall)

Play custom games... They are fun, and very very casual friendly. I really can never stop stressing how much information you can pick up from playing custom games.

9. zeta Lord

[​IMG]

that's what you're looking for

As was mentioned above, use tougher buildings to wall off with, two layers if necessary.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xTGAi7436W8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xTGAi7436W8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

There's a vid explaining how to counter the baneling bust as a terran

10. Obitrice Warlord

Obviously I'm not saying the only thing he's made up to that point is a tank in seige mode lol. Marines/marauders would have been made already. I would hope the combination of both would take care of at least most of the banelings. If they do any damage you can always pull an scv off the line to repair. What does it hurt to repair in case they try another baneling bust on his wall?

I definitely haven't spent enough time checking out the custom games. When I have, all I see are the side scrolling hero type.

11. Obitrice Warlord

Thanks for the info and finding the vid.

12. Jbigg Jay Biguos

Some more pointers.

A Baneling Bust is an early all in strategy, it requires a lot more tech from the zerg to get the baneling speed, so practice your micro. (Run away hit "s" pause for .5 seconds or so and repeat) Concussive shells will help a lot when kiting units like this.

If there is a late baneling bust giving them speed upgrades or they out position you and you know your going to take a hit, split up your army immediately, two banelings could kill 1 marine or they could kill 10-20, try sending in Sacrifices of 1 marine if the banelings don't have support.

13. Daemon Lord

I watched a couple of his videos. good info.

14. Xenogrant[Combine] Active Member

I watched all his terran videos, definetly a must to catch up on all the info back from 6+ months of beta. Missed the baneling ones, since i barely started on other race videos. Good find, missed it somehow, thanks.

15. I thought you meant while the attack is happening... meaning while they are going up the ramp and are about to bust on the wall. Absolutely need to repair when your buildings are damaged and you have downtime until another bust, just not while the burst dmg is coming as that would do nothing.

Eh, now that I think about it... You can't even set the SCV to repair until a building is damaged. Bleh, just ignore me. Moot point.

There are tons of custom games for just about everything... straight up micro management, straight up macro, counters, unit sounds, etc. Basically.. If you want a fun, unranked way to learn a certain skill that SC2 requires let me know and I'll point you to a custom map.

16. Koribundar Inactive Chapter Member

Is there one that'll make you(Sal) not suck so much?

17. Torric Lord

I really can't believe you're having trouble with zerg. The Terran vs Zerg matchup is the only reason I quit playing as Zerg. As a Terran player you should be absolutely thrilled when a Zerg player is being agressive. If he's building lings then he's not building drones. To counter a baneling bust use barracks and factories as your wall. They have a crazy amount of hitpoints compared to bunkers and supply depots. And if your not comfortable waiting that long to wall in completely, then put bunkers behind the supply depots to create another wall.

In the open field early game, marauders and marines fair well vs lings and banes. Just make sure the first upgrade you get is stimp and always travel with the marauders in the front of the marines to absorb the banelings exposion. Marauders are armored so the bane's do not get the bonus damage to them.

But even if the baneling bust fails you need to be aggressive. Contrary to what people are saying, a baneling bust is not an "All-in" for zerg. But it will definately put the Zerg in an economic disadvantage early. But if you don't pressure the zerg they can easily rebound and out drone you.

18. Stop trying so hard Kori, I'm impregnable. :p

19. Daemon Lord

Yah, so stop trying to impregnate him Kori... geez.

20. Seriously.