You Can't Make This Shit Up: EA Employee Rants on Warhammer Failure

Discussion in 'Front Page News' started by Hades, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Hades Lord of the Dead

I'm saving this as front page news in the event that the EA corporate hacks force him to take it down. An EA employee about to be laid off has posted a rant blog on why the game failed. We as players know why Warhammer failed. It failed because it was billed as an RVR game but the RVR sucked, and there were too many tedious things you needed to do to get to the fun parts. The Zone Capturing mechanism was horribly complex, everything could be undone if the other side refused to fight, and RVR bottlenecked at the Fortress Capture part. I don't really need to go on any further because its player issues can easily be found with a simple google search.

Now on with the show........

2. Scorn New Member

Sounds like everyplace I've ever worked.

3. halibutk Member

WOW...maek me a bit nervous on KOTOR however 300 million, something good has to come out of that game.

4. Valor Buffalo Rancher

Money equates to nothing more than a potentially wasted or well used resource. Throwing more money at a game that is being improperly ran will not help it.

5. Vengeance Member

I love this guy for having the balls to put a post like this up. The sad part is that it is true. True to the point that in most corporations management has no idea or concept of how to run things. The only thing that runs them is the check they get each week. Amen to this guy! All I can say to him is take you and your dedicated guys, make a small company and build us something worth playing!

6. Scarab The Mechanic

Good read... well, hopefully Dragon Age 2 is good at least.

7. Verm Lord

And that's why a team of us started our own company.

8. Breed Lord

i really had high hopes for Warhammer thinking that DAoC was one of the best pvp (rvr) games i ever played. EA :(

9. Ayup, great example of why I decided I wanted nothing to do with the industry just as I was getting into it.

I'd rather deal with the daily threat of environmental disasters or death and dismemberment than banking my livelihood on whether or not I can be the better schmoozer.

10. El Topo Lord

Well its about time someone said it, Mythic/EA fucked up. Paul Barnett was a pure snake oil salesmen. Watching him talk about the future of MMOGs on a industry panel made it clear to me he doesn't know what gamers want. He might be a funny guy, but unfortunately he is only there for his paycheck. If he believes in what he is selling (which he might), I fear for the future of the MMOG industry. Especially when companies like EA promote guys like him and Jeff Hickman. The real developers are the ones that understand a games issues, and then go about fixing them. Real developers make good games from day one, or as good as they can make them considering the complexity of such a large project.

I feel that ArenaNet is doing it right with Guild Wars 2, which seems like the only future MMOG that's sure to be a success.

The rant on KotOR isn't surprising considering a lot of it is true. I like the full voice over story, but its clear to me the balance won't be there at release. The game had a playable demo at Gamecon and PAX, and a few weeks later still no gameplay videos on youtube? Something is very wrong here. The Darth Hater Dallas Dickinson demonstration videos showed very little. The marketing campaign seems to be the only thing that keeps the hype going at this point. They need at least another 2 years to complete a game of this scale if they want everything done right. Something I don't think EA will let them do.

11. El Topo Lord

Well its about time someone said it, Mythic/EA fucked up. Paul Barnett was a pure snake oil salesmen. Watching him talk about the future of MMOGs on a industry panel made it clear to me he doesn't know what gamers want. He might be a funny guy, but unfortunately he is only there for his paycheck. If he believes in what he is selling (which he might), I fear for the future of the MMOG industry. Especially when companies like EA promote guys like him and Jeff Hickman. The real developers are the ones that understand a games issues, and then go about fixing them. Real developers make good games from day one, or as good as they can make them considering the complexity of such a large project.

I feel that ArenaNet is doing it right with Guild Wars 2, which seems like the only future MMOG that's sure to be a success.

The rant on KotOR isn't surprising considering a lot of it is true. I like the full voice over story, but its clear to me the balance won't be there at release. The game had a playable demo at Gamecon and PAX, and a few weeks later still no gameplay videos on youtube? Something is very wrong here. The Darth Hater Dallas Dickinson demonstration videos showed very little. The marketing campaign seems to be the only thing that keeps the hype going at this point. They need at least another 2 years to complete a game of this scale if they want everything done right. Something I don't think EA will let them do.

12. Azaazel Banned

Wow, that is pretty sad. And to think I was looking forward to the next Star Wars game. Maybe I will stay far away from that one. GW2 or Rift here I come. Fortunately for me the best thing out right now is a F2P UO server that has not let me down one bit.

13. Stavros New Member

wow that was a great read. oh and i havent been around here for so long. Hi Valor! <3