Zombie Apocolypse? DHS buying 450 million rounds of .40 caliber HP ammo

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shaylynne, Apr 23, 2012.

1. The Department of Homeland Security has a awarded a contract to ammunition manufacturer ATK for acquiring 450 million rounds of .40 caliber hollow point ammo. You can view the announcement of the ammunition purchase at this press release here.

"Hollow point" ammunition is never purchased for practice or training, and DHS does not fight wars overseas. It is a domestic agency with domestic responsibilities. 450 million rounds of ammo is a lot... In active battle operations in Iraq, ammunition is expended at the rate of 5.5 million rounds per month. That's 66 million rounds in a year.

So...what do you think all this ammo is being purchased for by DHS? Getting ready for a zombie apocalypse? For when shit hits the fan and our economy falls apart - to keep the masses at bay? Aliens?? ;)

/discuss

2. Niir Elder

3. LaMagra Lord

I think it's pretty obvious that they are anticipating some sort of civil unrest. Especially when you take into account the new laws Obama has passed lately. (Making it so US Citizens who get labeled "terrorists" no longer get due process, Giving himself the power to control all of Americas resources, etc.) This fits right in line.

4. Dogmatic Banned

I'd much prefer a zombie apocalypse scenario, but...I'm afraid La Magra may be spot on. Our liberties have been shit away within the past 4 years, and this upcoming election may decide whether or not I do everything i my power to get the fuck out of this country.

5. I think they are going to execute all the fat people. Should be just about enough rounds with that amount ;)

6. Soth Administrator

Was nice knowin you Anwedie

7. Logic Member

They also just passed a bill that allows the gov't to take away your passport if you owe $50,000 or more in back taxes.

8. Valor Buffalo Rancher

Stockpiles. Pretty simple. Buy in bulk, save over the next 10 years.

I mean... the government is trying to enslave us...

Whatever.

9. Daemon Lord

That's only 90 mil rounds per year over 5 years.

With DHS having over 200k employees, if you assume 50% of those are gun tote'n enforcement types, that's only 900 rounds per year per employee.

75 rounds a month is nothing. I could shoot that up in target practice in a single session.

Nothing in the article that specifies all hollow point. This contract is probably the vehicle to fulfill their total ammunition requirements.

Don't let that stop you from buying a few AR15's and plenty of ammo though... shit's getting worse, not better.

10. Koribundar Inactive Chapter Member

Wow, the paranoia factor is pretty high.

I remember it was the anti-bush people saying the same thing 4 years ago. The anti-Clinton nuts in Germany were pretty funny. The first Bush NWO plan was kinda spooky, but unattainable, Reagan did personally bring down the wall, but wanted to drown himself in a bathtub. So on, and so forth, blah blah blah.

Pretty humorous actually.

The 9/11 plan is coming into full effect.......... Soon the crab people will control all!!!!!

11. Cedwyn Banned

Probably some political figure is getting big $$$ for this deal. That's all it is about, money.

12. thorizdin Administrator

I don't know (nor really care) about the rest of the article, but I can say with absolute certainty that this part is factually incorrect. DHS & other law enforcement agencies (local, state, and federal) purchase and use hollow point ammo on a regular basis and have for at least the last 20 years. When the Glock .40 first came into vogue as a law enforcement side arm (circa 1990) a friend of mine who was at the time a SLED agent took me to their firing range (they were trying to recruit me) and we fired ~600 rounds that day ranging from normal hollow point to hydra shok (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydra-Shok) to jacketed.

I've seen the load outs for US Marshals and the FBI and those agencies also use (or at least did in the 1990s and early 2000s) hollow points and really any kind of round they think will give them an edge.

13. Sanjo Mr. No Fucks Given

I find it amusing how most folks read stuff like this and automatically they're on one end or the other of the barometer and the other side is paranoid/crazy. I literally just purchased 10,000 rounds of ammo because it was on sale, does that make me a nut job? I'm sure there are opinions about it but as they say...

Opinions are like assholes - everyone's got one.

Difference is, this asshole has lots of ammo.

14. Palebrew Inactive Elder

More then likely there is probably rumor of someone bring war to our soil and for us to be prepared to defend our cities. I can see homeland security having to take up arms as well in that scenario.

Also we might be getting ready to expand our territories into Mexico?

http://youtu.be/ICKPY6ffegc

15. Cedwyn Banned

The US has purchased 600+ LAV 25 (light armoured vehicle) for 2014. Basically it is what I said earlier, you scrap your old shit and buy new stuff, this reinvests money into the defense sector and keeps the industrial complex alive and well.

IMO, USA is planning to invade North/South Sudan. I am placing my bets that they helped the south split (the south has all the oil) and after the recent attacks by the North on the South, a war escalates, and the US goes in to 'support' the south, aka take over the entire country, give the oil to corporations, corrupt the government, leave the country to rot. Pull out the US troops from Afghanistan/Iraq and put them into Sudan, LOLFAIL.

16. Del Inactive Chapter Member

For a minute there you were talking crazy talk, and then you said this. All is right with the world.

17. Scarab The Mechanic

18. Ah ha! The answer reveals itself!
    Also, WTF???

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2012/05/26/miami-police-confrontation-men-leaves-1-dead-1-hurt/
    (videos at link above)

19. thorizdin Administrator

/em runs to buy more bullets

20. Soth Administrator

holy fucking shit